Manual Lymph Drainage
What is Manual Lymph Drainage?
Manual Lymph Drainage is a specialized massage technique that is beneficial for people of all ages.
Specific and gentle movements of the skin in the direction of the lymph flow stimulate and increase the rate of removal of waste products, toxins, and excess fluid from the body’s tissues.
MLD is an advanced massage therapy developed in the 1930s by the Danish practitioner Dr. Emil Vodder to treat a variety of different conditions.
What are the benefits of MLD?
MLD is both preventative and remedial and:
- Promotes the healing of fractures, torn ligaments, sprains, and lessens pain
- Can improve many chronic conditions: sinusitis, rheumatoid arthritis to name a few
- Can improve acne and other skin conditions, minimize or reduce stretch marks
- May strengthen the immune system by increasing the rate of removal of waste products, toxins from the body's tissues
- Relieves fluid congestion: swollen ankles, tired puffy eyes
- Promotes healing of wounds and burns, and improves the appearance of old scars
- Is deeply relaxing
- Can be used to improve recovery after cosmetic surgery
MLD therapy is a great treatment to receive pre and post-surgery (for example knee replacement, hip replacement, plastic surgery to name a few) It is often recommended to get the lymphatic system in the best condition to help reduce the swelling and bruising, to accelerate the healing process, and encourage better scar formation.
What to expect from the MLD treatment?
Before your first session, we will arrange a telephone consultation during which we establish what is your expectation from the massage session, and also I will check for any contraindications to massage. The session's length depends on the treatment plan and it would last a minimum of one hour. I recommend having series of sessions in order to receive the best results. Where appropriate I will work in conjunction with your medical practitioner. At an MLD session, I will ask you to remove some of your clothing and lie down on the treatment table where you will be covered in towels to keep you warm. I use no oils and it is completely safe even for those with sensitive skin.
I recommend drinking some water after your treatment and you may need to go to the toilet more often, as the lymphatic system starts to recycle excess fluid and waste. After an MLD treatment, you should feel more relaxed.
Can everyone be offered MLD massage treatment?
For people with the following conditions, I would not advise having a massage:
- Any malignant disease
- Acute infections/ allergies
- Congestive heart failure
Please, contact me on 07828926320 if you have any questions about MLD treatment.